Pizza is the undisputed king of the culinary world. This traditional Italian dish, made of round, flattened dough topped with cheese and tomatoes, and garnished with basil, olives and oregano, can be found in almost every corner of the globe. But pizza isn't the only popular food out there. In fact, according to a survey conducted by market research and data analysis firm Massive Health, based on data from 7.68 million food reviews from more than 50 countries, there are a number of other dishes that have become popular on a global scale.
The survey also revealed that Italian cuisine is the most popular in the world, with 78 percent of those surveyed expressing a favorable attitude towards it. Chinese and Japanese food were also highly rated, with 71 percent and 78 percent of those surveyed respectively expressing a favorable attitude towards them. Meanwhile, American cuisine ranked seventh out of 34 cuisines, with 68 percent of those surveyed saying they had tried it and liked it. But what is the most popular food in the world? According to data from the United Nations Food and Agriculture Organization (FAO), salads top the list as the most popular food in the entire world.
This includes all kinds of salad variations such as fruit salad, tuna salad, pasta salad, as well as classic lettuce, vegetables and dressing. However, desserts, comfort foods, and foods that are high in fat and sugar are also commonly consumed. The following list ranks the 10 most popular foods in the world according to their share in the world's average daily caloric intake:
- Salad Nicoise: A classic French salad made with tuna, potatoes, green beans, tomatoes and olives.
- Rice Pilaf: A flavorful rice dish made with herbs and spices.
- Fish Tacos: A Mexican-inspired dish made with grilled or fried fish served in a soft taco shell.
- Pasta Carbonara: An Italian dish made with bacon, eggs and Parmesan cheese.
- Chocolate Mousse: A decadent dessert made with chocolate and cream.
- Beef Stroganoff: A classic Russian dish made with beef and mushrooms.
- Cheese Fondue: A Swiss dish made with melted cheese served with bread or vegetables.
- Pork Chops: A classic American dish made with pork chops cooked in a skillet.
- Fruit Salad: A refreshing mix of fresh fruits such as apples, oranges and grapes.
- Vegetable Soup: A hearty soup made with vegetables such as carrots, celery and potatoes.